If you’re travelling or going away over the Festive Season you might want to think about the security of your property and its contents.
It’s great to have a wonderful time on your holiday, but not so great to come home to a burglary.
You can never be too careful when it comes to home security, so we’ve put together some tips on helping safeguard your home so you can have both peace of mind while you’re away, and when you come home.
Most importantly, you should make sure your home doesn’t appear vacant. So you may want to consider things like:
- Arranging for someone to collect your mail.
- Asking someone to take out / bring in your rubbish bin.
- Asking your neighbours to park in your driveway.
- Hanging some washing out on the line.
- Your social media posts - don’t advertise your travel plans, especially the dates you’re away.
- Suspending regular deliveries.
- Having motion sensors installed.
- Leaving at least one light on in the evenings (on a timer).
If you’re planning on going away for a longer period of time, you might want to ask your neighbour, family or friends to water your plants and even mow your lawns as an unmaintained garden may look suspicious.
If you’re home will be unattended for a period of time, it may pay to review your insurance policies to ensure you are adequately protected. Even if it’s a quick review of your contents to ensure any new items have been added – and if you’ve done any recent renovation work or extension work, ensure your building sum insured is correct. You may also want to consider the following:
- Have someone visit your property regularly, leave them your insurance details in case of an emergency.
- Take photos of all your precious items as proof/evidence of ownership.
- Put all your precious items in a safe or have them minded by a family member or friend you trust.
- Know what your insurance limits are on your policy, make sure all of your special items (jewellery, collectables) are noted on your special contents and are fully covered.
- Turn off any power points not in use ie television, microwave, kettle etc.
And finally, now that your home and contents are safe and secure, make sure you are fully insured for your holiday travels – please call your Insurance Broker or any one of our team to discuss your insurance needs.
This is general information and your own personal circumstances should be taken into consideration when making decisions regarding the security of your home and insurance.