These super cute cupcakes are sure to be the biggest hit with the kids this festive season
Santa Hat Cupcakes
For the cupcake:
- 1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
- 1 ½ cups of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Themed cupcake liners
For the buttercream:
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 3-4 cups of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk or heavy cream
- Strawberries with greens trimmed
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Line a muffin pan with themed cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean
For the frosting:
- Place softened butter into a bowl and beat in 2 cups of icing sugar. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and vanilla.
- Add remaining icing sugar ½ a cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a 2D Wilton tip, or other preferred large piping tip.
- Swirl the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, starting in the center – moving outwards and then back in and up, being careful not to give the frosting too much height.
- While the frosting is soft, press a hull strawberry on top so that the cut edge is against the frosting.
- Add a small dot of frosting to the tip of the strawberry and let set.
- Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.