This classic has been passed down through the ages and never fails!
Family Christmas Cake
- 1kg (6 cup) mixed fruit of your choice
- 185ml (3/4 cup) of brandy
- 3 teaspoons of finely grated orange rind
- Handful of blanched almonds
- Melted butter, to grease
- 250g of butter, room temperature
- 200g (1 cup firmly packed) of brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g (2 cups) of plain flour
- 3 teaspoons of mixed spice
- Blanched almonds, to decorate
- Red glace cherries, halved, to decorate (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of brandy, extra
Note: It is best to prepare your mixed fruit, brandy and orange rind at least one day before baking to macerate.
- Combine the mixed fruit of your choice, brandy and orange rind in a large bowl. Cover and set aside. Stir occasionally over the 1-2 days to macerate.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Brush a round 22cm cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease or you can use non-stick spray. Line the base and side with 3 layers of non-stick baking paper.
- With an electric beater, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy and pale. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between each addition until just combined.
- Add butter mixture to fruit mixture and combine. Add (sifted) flour and mixed spice and stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Release any air bubbles by lightly tapping the pan on your bench.
- Arrange almonds and cherries on top of the cake as you like. Bake in the oven, covered with foil, for 2 hours 40 minutes - 3 hours or until your skewer comes out clean.
- Drizzle hot cake with extra brandy. Set aside to cool before turning out.